Monday, May 12, 2008

Weekly Blog Post #11 GTA IV is the KING

Last semester on this very blog, I did a blog post about the record breaking launch of the video game, Halo 3. Well, Halo 3's records have been shattered already by the recently released Grand Theft Auto IV (GTA IV). GTA IV has surpassed the the all-time entertainment sales records for one day and one week sales. The game sold more than 6 million copies amassing over $500 million in the first week.

No movie or music release is No. 1, a video game is. Coincidence? I think not.

Again, clearly video games are becoming more and more noticed by the mainstream media. GTA IV even took the rounds on the late night talks with pretty much every late night host including some news or joke about GTA IV. On the latest Saturday Night Live (SNL), they did a skit with the two main protagonists.

You can watch the SNL skit at: http://kotaku.com/5008603/niko-and-vlad-on-saturday-night-live

With new gamers whose first introduction to games is on the Nintendo Wii, which I alluded to in another blog post, video games are being socially accepted as a valid form of entertainment time to spend along with watching TV or listening to music.

The news story is at one of the blogs I follow for the class, joystiq.com: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/07/ny-times-gta-iv-snatches-500-million-in-first-week/#comments

No comments: