I remember last semester from my MCOM 72, Professor Rucker was telling us about "info snacking." Info snacking is basically reading a whole bunch of different news and information, but not fully reading it to get an understanding. For example you just see that President Bush was at a summit in some country, but don't read in to where or why he was there.
With the explosion of blogs and user created websites, web 2.0 stuff, there are so many places to go to find information. Tools such as digg and RSS grab blog posts and news stories from websites you set it to. So everyday you go to the RSS feed and just look at the headlines of the RSS feeds and leave it at that.
Another point I wanted make was what I noticed making the multimedia project, I had to go to some many different websites like I was picking off a food menu to make the project. You make a blog with wordpress, make another account to upload photos with flickr, another to upload videos with youtube, another to upload podcasts, etc., etc. I'm not asking for one monetized site that can do all these things, but there doesn't need to be so many different sites that do the same thing like uploading photos.
Another problem I would have with web 2.0 stuff is just the plethora of web services to constantly keep linked up to and comment on with friends, family, and job contacts. You have to update your myspace and facebook with your friends and update your linkedin for job contacts. For blogs you have to constantly go from blog site to blog site and comment on people's blogs.
I'm sure there are services that do all the gripes I have, but if I have to register for another website I'm go crazy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I know, it can be overwhelming. I like the term "info snacking" -- hadn't heard that one -- but that does describe the kind of superficial overview one tends to get when glancing over headlines and not much else.
I've run across a couple sites/services lately that promise to integrate all your blogs, pics, social media links, etc., in one place...so I know you're not the only who thinks this is becoming a problem. But I haven't tried it yet. I mean, who needs one more site to maintain? Maybe over the summer, when I'm not on grading overload.
Speaking of overload, I see you're trying out Twitter. Glad you haven't given up on it all quite yet....
Have a good summer!
Post a Comment